Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pep talk to the gardener In me

It snowed this morning. I woke to the sound of it on the roof. Mystery man thought it was rain, which got me all excited, because I LOVE rain, but then it turned out to be very wet snow. It was 40 degrees outside, so I hear. That doesn't really seem like a normal temp for snow. That is why it melted so quickly, I conclude. It smelled good outside. Not quite the mineral smell of rain that I can't get enough of, but a nice, wet wood and mud smell. So, that was ALL, right? I mean it's almost April. Enough of this winter crap, already. There is a daffodil and a crocus in my front yard, peeping through the leaves left from Fall. I want strictly rain from now on until Halloween (and some sun, too, but lots of rain). If the ground could be really soft and wet, I would feel a lot more motivated to put my baby on my back and go dig in the garden. I love gardening. I am not sure why I feel so intimidated by getting started this year. Having an in-arms aged baby makes me feel a lot less capable of pursuing my usual pursuits. I get more overwhelmed, and I just don't want to get in over my head. I would be so disappointed if I stalled long enough to completely miss planting season, so I'd best get my will in line and get at it. That's a note to self. Tomorrow do something that at least leads toward sowing seeds.

No comments: