Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My daughter has an imaginary friend that she calls Nic-nac-no. Nic-nac-no has a mother named something like "Mendolin". Nic-nac-no is sometimes referred to as "she", and sometimes as "them". They apparently look like huge purple raccoons, but are not actually racoons. It is not clear what they are, but they drive down the street beside us in a "huge little, tiny red car", they teach her how to jump high and run fast, go on walks with us and sleep with her in her bed. Sometimes they come into our car and sit with her as well. I love that Reya has an imaginary friend. When I was a young adult, I used to love to watch the movie, "Drop Dead Fred". I had hoped that one of my children would have such a friend. I think it such a healthy, good thing in a developing child, and it's really fun.
Related or not, she spoke of a dream the other night about a big raccoon stuffed with string cheese that she ate. It seems that this was completely unrelated to the embodiment of Nic-nac-no, but it is an interesting possible correlation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing. We've called them "Spirit Friends" to honor their reality to the kids. Hazel has always had lots of them. Some have gone their way but two have stayed on for years and have now been inherited by Rain. I never knew that imaginary friends could be passed down to real little siblings. They are called "Lal" and "Treyy" and are excellent playmates, with fluctuating genders and ages. They don't seem to have any kind of embodiment. For Hazel they are kind of a cross between fairies and guardian angels. I think it is pretty amazing to see Hazel and Rain playing with them simultaneously, particularly as Hazel has never personalized her dollies or stuffed animals but constantly creates meals and tea parties for her "children" such as Lal and Treyy.

Ani said...

OOh-Ivy, that is so cool that Hazel and Rain share Spirit Friends. I think that Galen can see Reya's too. It is totally like faeries. I saw them when I was little. They ARE real, despite what un-magical, unbelieving, mundane people say!