Thursday, May 8, 2008

Iris the Artistic Cat

Beautifully leafed perennials emerge and unfurl in the outdoor garden.



Blades of grass and other bits of wild have begun to thrive in my garden. I will need to weed and thin.


Red Orach (I think that is how it is spelled?- it's like red spinach, and very tasty) reseeded itself from last year and is quickly growing taller than the tiny sprouts of broccoli that I planted from seed several weeks ago.


The peas are finally up. They took so long that I thought they weren't coming. I should have had more faith.


Indoor seedlings arisen and wonderfully alive!

Hibiscus





Oregano

and... EWWWW. Brace yourself-Posted by Picasa

Cat Poo.

I know this is obnoxious to make any one look at, but I feel oddly compelled.
Here is what my cat, who used to be very well behaved, leaves for me each day. I am so disgusted. She does it about a foot in front of her litter box on the laundry room floor, if I fail to leave the door to the backyard open, like on a cold day. It doesn't seem to be about the cleanliness factor of her litter. She just doesn't care to poo in it any more. Only pee. This gift of the day from Iris seems more artistic than usual. It is the most interestingly shaped poo I have ever seen out of her. It is almost sculptural. I have been thinking she is slipping in her manners and behavior. Maybe she is simply expressing herself creatively. It stinks.

I got talked into driving to Longmont yesterday with Mystery Man, because he said we could do some desperately needed grocery shopping on the way home. It wasn't fun. We missed our exit on the interstate and drove an extra half hour or so, baby was uncomfortable and bored in the car, crying inconsolably for a long time. No toy would keep her entertained for more than a minute. I kept having to lean my boob over her car seat to nurse, which attracts attention of high-up passing truckers, and hurts my back. Even the nursing didn't really sooth her. The point of the trip was to look at a car that is for sale. We got there, and the car was clearly not well maintained, so we spent a valuable $15 or so in gas for nothing. I was starving and we didn't have time to stop for lunch because getting lost made Mystery Man almost late for work (no grocery shopping after all). The whole trip was hot, stuffy, full of hassles and miserable. Why go searching for a car? A subject that has been causing much grief between us these days. He is determined to get a car for himself to convert into a home of sorts. He wants to keep all his stuff in it and drive it around, parking it in various places, and sleeping out in the wild. He wants to be a purposefully self-made hobo, out of the loop of money and working for money, out of the system of land ownership and rent paying, away from the holds of the agricultural system which he believes was a big mistake of history and disruptive to the original hunter-gatherer lifestyle. He is of the philosophy of anarcho-primitivism and rewilding. He tries to sooth me by telling me he won't be a full time hobo, and not immediately, mind you. I am supposed to be adjusting to the idea while he prepares a vehicle and gets ready to slowly transition to such a life starting in about a year. He asks me to be flexible and okay with it. He promises he will come home (to my home) often- maybe even daily, to see our baby, take her if I need to work or do something without her, and sleep in bed with me some nights when I miss him and ask him to. He promises he will be available by cell phone, and that this is just a different but workable version of a healthy partnership and relationship. He is sure that this is an appropriate and fine situation for a good parenting relationship. I am welcome of course to bring the family and join him in the wild whenever I want if I feel so inclined. I am having a lot of trouble with all of it. Why did I agree to go to Longmont with him, I ask myself? Why do I waffle between support for his goals and anger over my dissatisfaction with them? Can't we just go back to the plan that I was comfortable with, where we save together for a Honda mini-van that we share, all live under one roof, and grow the preschool together as baby gets old enough to enjoy it? To me this sounds happy, healthy and whole. To him torture. Does working a daily grind at a progressive food co-op really equate to selling his soul? I know when I believe in something, I have no choice but to live in integrity, so I try to empathize, yet this feels like a sad and difficult change to me, no matter how I try to look at it.

Wanting to be reasonable and progressive, but not so sure I need to be tolerating this.

No comments: