Friday, March 12, 2010

Cramming for a test.

So I don't have time to blog right now, since finals week is a horrendous drain and a stressful time suck.  I am itching to blog though, and thought I'd bore ya' all by studying on here.  What follows is my art history study methodology.  Enjoy learning how I learn.

Drilling myself on the all important art history monument list, which I will likely forget within a week:
First I pull up the image, then I rack my brain for all of the pertinent info that I have to spit out about that image tomorrow morning.   Then I check my work and see if I remembered anything with accuracy.  Finally I try to figure out a way to remember the evasive date or info.  Here goes.
1) David, by Michaelangelo, High Renessaince in Italy Period, 1504 Yes!

2)Venus of Urbino, by Titian, 16th Century in Italy, 1538Yes!

3)The Entombment of Christ, Caravaggio, Baroque Period in Italy, 1613?close, but not quite- 1603  How will I remember this one?  Hmmm.  Yes I know.  The holy trinity is 3. 1600 + the trinity!

4)Rembrandt's Self Portrait, Baroque Period in Holland, 1649Nope- 1658.  Another memory tool.  UMMM thousands place, then number pattern:654, except the last digit is doubled like the portrait is a double of himself...1 then 658


5) Embarkation From the Island of Cythera, Watteau, Rococco period, 1717Yes!


6)The Rakes Progress Series, The Heir, Hogarth, 18th Century Middle Class Life, 1732-33Yes!

7)The Oath of the Horatii, David, Noeclassical Period, 1795- darn it!1784  What is the trick on this one?  subtract one from each of the last two digits that I thought it was?  too confusing.  I may not remember what I thought it was.  I know.  The usual one for the thousands place, then 7 (God's number...creation) 8 (consecutive), then cut the 8 in half like a sword slice for the 4.This is a long shot...we'll see.

8)The Third of May 1808, Goya, Romanticism, 1814Yes!

9)The Stone Breakers, Corbet, Realism, 1856?-Argh 1849  Halfway through the 19th century, then minus one because the poor are always getting the short end of the stick (this painting is supposed to be illustrating the perils of the poor laborers of the Realistic period).

10) 
Luncheon of the Boating Party, Renoir, Impressionism, 1881Yes!

Okay... lets go back and see how I did.  I'll go back and mark my mistakes in red.(which you already saw on the way down to this line.  :)j

No comments: