Monday, September 6, 2010

Raw Milk Day - a trip to the farm

We are part of a milk group. This is a sort of co-op that involves taking turns with four other families to do the weekly drive to a rural farm to pick up, fresh, Organic, raw milk. It is a fun trip when it is our turn, but the group situation is nice, as there is no way I'd ever want to make the trip every week. Raw milk is so delicious, creamy and far more nutritious than the pasturized, homogenized, mass produced, less humane even when Organic, store-bought alternative. It is full of nutritious enzymes and antibodies that get destroyed through all the above stated processes that make it in my opinion, hardly a food of value at all, but rather nearly empty, mucus producing calories.
At Polyrock farm, there are other animals, too. The kids love to see the rabbits, pigs, chickens and roosters, dog, cat and cows. For some odd reason, we never ended up taking a picture of the cows this trip, which is weird since they are the main thing we are there for. I have mixed feelings about this farm. The milk is really good, and affordable compared to other raw milks, at just $7.00 gallon. I don't really think that the animals are kept in the nicest space. It seems like they could clean the pens a lot more, the place is kind of sloppy, ramshackle and in disrepair, and I don't like that the hogs and rabbits are in cages on a cement area. I am not sure if they get out much, but I haven't seen it happen yet. The cows seem happy, and are often out to pasture. It is Organic, but I would like to find a farm with higher cleanliness standards and a nicer environment. I am about to start actively looking for such a farm to join a different milk group, but for now, this is still a far cry better than anything I would find at a grocery store, so I stick with it.
Every time we go, we say, "thank you cows, for making such yummy milk that we get to drink. We appreciate you!"

2 comments:

Wind said...

Oh my gosh, just look at those curls!

Ani said...

She got some good hair genetics from the paternal side, for sure! She gets comments and compliments everywhere we go. I wonder if a girl can get too many compliments for her own good? She has no lack of confidence for sure.