Monday, August 23, 2010

Blowing An Egg Through Laughter

I decided to blow one of the first, little, beautiful, green, long-awaited chicken eggs from my small backyard coop, as a keepsake. This method of preservation is great for Springtime egg decorating as well! Here is how you do it:
First, using a sharp needle, carefully poke hard through one end of the egg to make a hole.
Then, do the same on the other end. Once you have a hole on both ends, choose one side to make bigger. I like to do this on the "top" of the egg, so that if I choose to hang it from a string, it goes through that side. (To hang it you would attach a string to a small, broken off twig or toothpick, poke it in through the hole, then turn the stick to block the hole on the inside, and you can hang the string from an egg tree or anywhere, really!)
To make the hole bigger, use the same needle, and carefully pick off tiny chunks of shell.
It should be just big enough to allow the insides to be blown out through it.
Next, use the needle to probe into that bigger hole, and break up the yoke a few times, so that the blowing out process is possible. If the yoke were intact, it would not go through the hole.
Finally, blow. Put your mouth over the smaller hole, and holding the egg over a clean, empty bowl, blow, and blow, and blow.
It is hard- harder than blowing up a balloon, and you might feel light headed.
I do not recommend having your picture taken while doing this unless you are in a laughing mood. If you want to get a side ache from hysterical laughter, which I admit, is really fun, and does not happen nearly enough in my adult life, then definitely have someone get out a camera. I will warn that it is VERY challenging to blow in a serious and non-laughing way, under the eye of a photographer.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Cute! Looks like you guys had fun. Small world...I was just noticing in the bottom corner of my facebook profile, where it shows 3 of a person's "likes" at a time, that 2 of the 3 current ones that fb chose to display today have to do with laughter: "laughing until it hurts" and "random laughter when remembering something". I was thinking about how fun it is to laugh until some part of your body hurts (I usually get cramps in my cheeks, or a good ab workout). :) Who took your laughing/egg blowing pics? I like them. :)