Monday, August 23, 2010

A Precious Eggnumber 3 or 4


Two out of three of my chickens are laying! This is really exciting. It has been a five month chapter of anticipation, and finally, I sent Tenar out to clean the duck house last week, and low and behold, he found a small, green egg! Nevermind the odd fact that my hen chose to lay her egg in someone else's house instead of the nesting box built into her coop. At least she is laying. I had planned to take a picture of the first, precious egg, and post it on my blog, and then blow the egg, so that I could keep the shell as a forever memoir. This is real life though, and we all know that in life, things don't go as planned. Tenar brought me the egg. I held it in my hand with all kinds of love and respect, cherishing it's firstness. Then the little girl that lives upstairs asked if she could hold it. I hesitated, and told her how precious it was, and to be careful, then gently layed it in her cupped hand. She smiled, then lost interest and just opened that little cupped hand, allowing the egg to roll off onto the ground, without a thought. She obviously had no idea of the value and importance that I had attempted to convey, because when I sadly lamented and showed her the irreversible crack in my precious egg #1, she looked slightly taken aback, and said "oh", and then trotted off to play. Oh the irritation.
Egg number 2 was found that same day, layed by a hen that seems to need some calcium in her diet. It had no shell. Just soft and squishy, and easily torn. That night we made celebrated use of it and the cracked green egg into some chocolate chip cookie dough, and enjoyed our bounty.
Egg numbers 3 and 4 were also found together, one with a strangely soft shell again, and the other a glorious, perfect green one. This one was my saver. I didn't let a single child touch the precious, little, green number 3 or4 (don't know which one came before the other).
I took my pictures.
I then blew the egg for saving. The tutorial for that will be in the next post. Stay tuned for how to blow an egg, very useful for a first chicken egg to keep forever, or more commonly around Easter and the Spring Equinox to hollow out eggs for decorating and keeping.

1 comment:

Andi said...

First eggs are so precious!!

We had some soft shell issues as well, then we added oyster shells crushed and that was the end of that.
So sorry that your first egg was dropped. The best laid plans..... ;)