Sunday, November 22, 2009

Are you listening openly, really? Think again. (questioning myself)

Sometimes I am so foolishly sure that I know what I think about everything.  I also continue on with this idea that I am listening to others, and that I am considering their thoughts and ideas with an open mind and heart.  The trouble is, I think this, even while forgetting to open them (the rusted shut mind and heart).  I just keep thinking, " I'm so open minded", and "I'm a pretty good listener", while I forget to actively be those things.  Instead, I lock myself up, thinking about what I am sure that I KNOW.  I default to auto-listen and filter all information through my little soap box position.  Often I am wrong when I assume things about others, but it takes me a really long time to realize that what seem like very foreign philosophies are uncannily more similar to my own than I could have imagined.  Then I feel bad.  I feel bad for not listening with my whole self, for being too stuck, for being a know-it-all, for separating "me" and "you", or "us" and "them".  It is really good when someone points out in a very kind way, what a jerk I'm being, and that it would help if I'd listen and stop talking.  I get defensive and it causes a temporarily faltering in my ego (as well as a noisy and emotional debate).  I have to think, "maybe I don't look or sound so admirable", and "what if someone thinks I'm doing a terrible job at the things that I am trying to do best in life".  Then I start listening, reconsidering, learning, and remembering my humility.  Thank goodness.

There's the forest. 

I frequently miss it through all those trees.

5 comments:

Andi said...

Humility and willingness to accept what is, what you are, what others are as neither negative nor positive.

and What happened? What got you thinking?

Jenn said...

I love you, Ani. <3

Unknown said...

I'm just sending you and your babies love. I have complete faith in you. I am listening (reading) to your words here.

Ani said...

Andi- Nothing happened per say, except for a surprising and emotionally charged conversation with a good friend. We worked through it, but I noticed how closed I am on certain issues. I am pretty deep into my attachment parenting/gentle discipline/Waldorf Education/purity lifestyle, and when other ideas come up, I am way too eager to prove my point. Not good. I also forget sometimes, how it is to be around others who have a strong, Christian standpoint. This describes most of my family and childhood friends, as it is my history, as well. I am quite surrounded right now, and feel many emotions: out-of-place, alone in my philosophies, afraid of their judgement, resistant to evangelism and conversion efforts, a desire to find common ground and just have a good time together, a need for acceptance and understanding, and above all, an intense loneliness for others who share my ways to spend time with. I'm in Eugene, for Goddess sake- where are all you pagan mamas and papas with cloth diapers, bikes and carts, organic food and songs to sing? Please come out so I can find you!

Ani said...

Thanks for your love and faith, Ivy. Thanks also for reading, and letting me know that you are here for me. I appreciate your listening eyes as you "hear" me. I do try to be as good as I can in this life.