Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dumpster Diving

Having left Fort Collins, I was lamenting the end of a dumpster-diving relationship.  A bit of irony in that statement?!  No, really, what I mean is that dumpster diving has literally been a common point of interest between my ex-partner and I.  Since I was big and pregnant, and then more recently, caring for a newborn, I ended up depending heavily upon him, to go out and find us what we needed.  He would go to the big, corporate health food store late at night, and bring us back loads of perfectly wonderful foods that never should have been thrown away in the first place (hello?  food bank donations?).  Once we got more than 15 separately packaged slices of gourmet cake, like tiramiso, chocolate mouse, carrot, and more.  Another time we got somewhere near twenty pounds of different kinds of nuts, nut butters and nut mixes.  Still another night, we got a huge bag full of fresh mozerella cheese balls.  We ate pizza, lasagna, slices with tomatoes and basil, eggplant-pesto-cheese sandwiches, and other creative meals out of it for literally a couple of months, and they never went bad on us.  I got a perfectly great mop, broom, masses of fashionable clothing, and much, much more, by going down alleys with the aforementioned guy, and checking dumpsters, or just going through free piles on the side of the road.
Many a time, through my recent move, I have thought sadly, what a shame, to let those good times go.  It is not like I can rummage dumpsters as easily, alone, with a baby in arms, followed by a two year old.  But alas, I am pleased to announce todays findings, conveniently placed alongside the dumpster in (who knew?) my own complex of condominiums.


One dirty but very cleanable, adjustable, leather, rolling desk chair, which I really need for the computer desk that I have confidence that I will soon find.  My rear is on this chair as I type right now!


One dirty, but very cleanable, fully functional toaster that I had been wishing for, complete with adjustable settings, and wide slots for bagels and more.

One bike pump (haven't tested it yet, but am hoping it works) that I REALLY need, since I rely completely on biking and strolling for my transportation.

I also got a pair of shorts, a wooden lamp that needs a shade, and a partial bag of Organic potting soil (which was on my need list).

Dumpster diving is admittedly not as fun without my old partner in crime, but I am still happy to have had the opportunity, and am grateful for the much needed stuff.  Yay!

2 comments:

Vanasto said...

Hopefully you can find food behind Market of Choice or some other grocer's... probably none are as wasteful as Whole Foods is though!

How's the bike pump work, had a chance to test it?

-James

Ani said...

Yes, it works! The toaster, on the other hand, seems to have issues. It doesn't want to pop up. It toasts forever. Glad it likes what it does, but it needs to know when to stop...kind of like Reya!