Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In and out of the hood



Yesterday we found a chalk board by the dumpster.  We took it home and washed it, and then Reya and I played while Galen slept.  So much fun! 

Today I walked North toward my favorite thrift store.

  My walk took me out of the more attractive surroundings of my immediate neighborhood, into the less beautiful W. 7'th and Garfield area.  The kids and I had a stroller full of thrifted goods. 

Here's what we saw.  This place is right next to the Salvation Army store. 

The sight of it made me hungry.  I'd like to try it sometime.  There's no money to eat out, but maybe someday.  Then, on the way home: 


Hmmm...That will probably bring a few shady folks nearby.  Then, a few blocks further. 

Yum.  I've always had a weakness for donuts.  In the same shopping center, I saw

Here is where I can take my sick sewing machine, if and when, again, I have any money to spare.  Another few blocks,

and this place is somewhere that Reya's grandparents would probably like to go, if they visit us, one day.  Soon we began to get into the neighborhood.  Someone down the block from me has some interesting bottle sculpture going on in their front yard- Eugene is so quirky.

Here is the creek, looking at it from the bridge. 

The places to the left are the condos I live in.  To the right is the path that people bike and walk on.
The leaves are BEAUTIOUS right now! 

Reya loves these-- what are they?  Rhododendrons, maybe?  And, this was the other day, actually, but I just have to show off the beautiful rain! Tonight I opened my window a few inches, while laying down with the kids, and the sounds are musical to my ears.  I have loved rain my entire life, probably because I grew up here.

When we returned from the walk, both children were miraculously asleep, so I got a tiny bit of unpacking done.  I got out a few nick-nacks and started my alter space on the top of a bookshelf in my bedroom.  It made such a difference for me.  This place is starting to feel like home!  The nap did wonders, and the children had a nice evening.  They are starting to play now, a little, since Galen is getting older.  He laughs, and thinks his sister is hilarious. She eats it up and gets sillier.  It is fun to watch!  The poor little guy is teething like crazy right now.  He has learned to grab things and get them into his mouth.  It is nice that he is starting to like toys.  Reya still has to get in the limelight.  She'll duck in front of him to get in the pictures I take.  He has revenge.  He knows how to pull hair!



7 comments:

Andi said...

Oh my goodness, look at his laughing smile! Wow! It is great to see a peek of your new space and of you three. Hope you are managing! Sending you lots of encouraging vibes ((Hugs)).

Ani said...

Andi-
You have no idea how happy it makes me to get your comments. I love knowing that I have friends who are interested enough to want to peek into my life. Love you and your family! Hope that you are over your recent illness!

Wind said...

I am amazed to see your kiddos all bundled up! And rain too?! Wow, we sure are living in different landscapes, I wonder when we'll get to wear our coats.. I love hearing about your adventures.
Sweetness to you!

Jenn said...

Hi Ani, it's fun reading your blog & hearing about your life, even though I was just there. :) Of course, we're so chatty, I don't think we could ever run out of things to talk about, or even get to all the things we want to talk about for that matter. :) Oh, the reason I'm leaving this comment is to maybe answer a question you asked in your blog about the pink flower...I think it's a camellia (camellia sinensis), which is actually the tea plant. Seth loves them & that's what he's told me (we have a lot here)--we actually happened to be at the Japanese Gardens once during a camellia show/competition. I'm pretty sure that the plant they use for tea is a quite different variety, though, of the same plant. Interesting, huh?

Seth said...

Ha! I was just going to leave a comment saying it was a camellia, but I see my sister beat me to it. Yes, Camellia sinensis is the tea plant, but the kind people plant for flowers are other types. Love the Mazzy Star track on your blog, too. Jenn played it for me. Take care, Ani!

Ani said...

Wind- I remember on your birthday weekend last year, when we were talking about how different our "dream climate and landscape" are from each other. I never would have dreamed that we'd both have managed to relocate to them this quickly. So, it's not cold there, this time of year? When I lived in Albuquerque, it was very cold, but you guys are further South. Nice to be in the sun, I bet!

Ani said...

Jenn and Seth-thanks for the flower info. I love that. I never would have known. I have a special appreciation for it now that it is Asian in origin, and related to the wonderful tea plant that I love. Seth, you should come visit sometime with Jenn. I'd love to spend time with you.