Saturday, November 14, 2009

Making Progress

Today I feel a lot better about the money concern. I went to the financial aid office at the University of Oregon, and spoke to a real live person, with tears in my eyes and an infant in my arms(how's that for seeming desperate), about the reality of my financial aid package, and what it will take to make next semester happen for me, and keep the rent paid.

Here's the deal. I have "non-resident" status, since I spent the last several years in Colorado. Apparently most typical out-of -state students are dependent upon their parents, who are taking out parent loans to pay for their expensive tuition. I am a non-traditional student, being a 36 year old, single mom of four, and being an atypical non-resident makes me completely out of luck for attending UO this January, since the financial aid offer including loans and grants was just over $10,000.00, and my tuition would be over $15,000.00. I had been planning to pay rent off of the non-existent refund that I thought I was going to get above the costs of tuition. That was clearly not going to happen.

That is the part of the conversation with the financial aid officer when the tears that were welled up in my eyes began to roll down my cheeks, as I held my little 4 month old baby and told her that we just moved here to leave a guy that wasn't good to be living with, and that school was my one and only way out. I NEED more loan money to go to school and keep a roof over our head. "Is there anything I can do?" That is when dual enrollment with Lane Community College came up. I started to breathe deeply for the first time in months, when I learned about the workability of this arrangement. Simple:

1)Fill out free dual enrollment application, which allows me to take classes at either UO or Lane Community College, or a combination of both, while all earned credits instantaneously transfer toward my degree program at UO.
2)Collect my same financial aid offer from UO while paying a greatly reduced tuition rate for my community college classes, freeing up more of the aid award for necessities like rent and utilities.
3)Take no more than 6-8 credits each term, so that I am working toward becoming an in-state resident at UO after 12 months.
4)The community college will likely grant me in-state residency in only 90 days, because their policy is far less stringent, which makes my 2'nd quarter of school and beyond, even less expensive!
5)Yay! This is going to work! I just filled out my online community college application, and am waiting for an email acceptance in the next few days. I just have to adjust my FAFSA to include that school, get transcripts sent to them, and then get registered for classes. I can take them online, as I was planning to do with UO. After my 12 months, I should be able to take classes back at UO with in-state tuition. (Note- it may not be this simple with all the residency stuff. I still have to read the whole informational packet. I must prove that I am here for other reasons than school, and file taxes in Oregon, showing income, or some other proof that I am a contributing member of the local society.)

My mom and her questionably sane husband were here today to help me, and they were actually super-helpful! They took me to deal with all this money and educational stuff, and entertained my two year old while baby and I talked to the people in the financial aid office. What a help. It is almost impossible to do anything with my toddler. She is deceptively beautiful while being extremely active and generally uncooperative and tantrum-prone. I was able to go grocery shopping on the way home, with Mom and Keith entertaining her in a separate shopping cart as well. Any mama who tries grocery shopping with a head-strong toddler and baby, alone, can tell you that it is a most unpleasant and sometimes nearly impossible feat. At the least, there are always loud and embarrassing moments when attention gets drawn to our drama as we make our way through the store. It is this undeniable fact, that made both the University errand and the shopping trip an absolute dream for me, with the help of Mom. Oh my. I never want to do it again without help. Then, on Mom's way out of town toward her home, about an hour from here, she took away the big, green sleeper sofa that was being elephant-like in my tiny living room. It had been so cramped in this here place of mine, that my organization and space seeking brain was having trouble functioning on any level of efficiency. I was feeling borderline crazy and severely annoyed. Magically, with the removal of the large sofa, this place feels, well, pleasant... almost spacious, which is saying a lot for an approximately 600 square foot condo. Hallelujia!!

Oh, and so as not to offend any inanimate objects, thank you, green, sleeper sofa, for holding my rear in sit, and for being a place for I, two small children, and one beautiful and fluffy cat to rest and slumber for the one and a half weeks that I was without any other piece of furniture in my new abode. Pic of baby laying on very comfy, green sofa( poor guy- his pesky sister adorned him with antennae)
You were very useful and comfortable, sleeper sofa. I appreciate your patience as you sat tight, way to close to the heater, because there was simply nowhere else to fit you, and resisted combustion. May you find another home that spaciously invites you.Pic of sleeper sofa shoved up against wall where heater is. Innocent children play with no awareness of fire hazard just feet away!

No comments: