Sunday, November 22, 2009

Daddy loves his baby

Reya asks for this song to be sung to her at bedtime almost every night now.

Baby oh Baby,
Feign you are to sleep
Magpie and marpoke,
Busy  as a bee.
The little red calves
In the snug cow shed,
And the little brown birds are in the trees.
Daddy's gone a shearin' 
Down the castle Wray,
So we're all alone now,
Only you and me.
Home on the wool-o,
Keep your wide blades full-o.
Daddy loves his baby,
Parting though he be.

I start to feel sad for her, and wonder how traumatic this has been, and how much she does miss her Daddy, even though I know that I did what I had to do.  Just when I am in the thick of contemplation and misery, singing her this lullaby with mournful sweetness, her little voice bursts forth, "Mama, I pinch my cheek.  Reya so silly!".  Then I lighten up, and know that even though she misses Daddy, she is not thinking about it nearly as long and hard as I am.

No comments: