Saturday, November 14, 2009

The quest for child sleep


It takes no less than an hour every night to get my little child-genious to sleep.  She is so intense, and so intelligent, and so busy, and so demanding, and so cute!  Additionally, she tries to never nap.  If it happens, it is only after a looong (usually screaming) walk in the stroller, or once in a while a car drive, and then she abruptly wakes up, often in an emotional fit.  Wow, I do feel spent at the end of a day and night with her.  Her thing right now, especially when she is tired, is biting her baby brother.  Often on his sweet little toes, yesterday on his ankle, and this evening on his soft little belly.  He screamed in pain for at least 5 minutes, and was left with raised marks of upper and lover teeth.  It makes me so darn mad.  I told her I'd put spicy hot sauce in her mouth next time she used it to hurt someone, but that was a dumb idea, because my little devil loves spicy food, and went instantly into the kitchen, opened the fridge and said, annoyingly, "okay, Mama, give me 'picy sauce".  Ugh, what am I going to do to stop this terrible behaviour?  I am SO open to ideas right now.  Now, to redeem her, I must say, she makes me smile a lot.  Yesterday, she piped up with, "Mama, I have bright eyes!"  "Yes, you sure do", I told her, because she does.  She also frequently wraps her arms around her chest, stating, "I hug Reya", and runs her hand over her head, saying, "I pet Reya".  I'm so glad she loves herself, and I am so glad she is so smart.  I have no idea how to help her be gentle and peaceful.  Is my example enough, here?

1 comment:

Wind said...

I am grateful for this topic as I am really feeling overwhelmed by the energies of my passionate, loving, high energy, easily upset, very vocal young one, while I am wanting hormonally to be in the infant zone. No answers, just needing to relate, thank you dear friend.